What Is LinkedIn?
It’s hard to believe there are business people who still don’t actively use or understand LinkedIn. I’m going to attempt to set things straight. LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking service. Some have compared it to a mature version of Facebook, but I don’t think that’s exactly fair. LinkedIn is used for professional networking. As of June 2013, LinkedIn reports that it has more than 259 million users in more than 200 countries and territories.
The site is available in 20 languages. Membership grows extremely quickly – two new members every second. Most people use the free version but with the paid version you can see exactly who is looking at your profile. Obviously this is useful for networking purposes.
Why Advertise on LinkedIn?
LinkedIn allows you to create extremely targeted advertisements based on the following categories:
- Company industry and size
- Job title and seniority
- Groups they belong to
As the audience is narrowed down, LinkedIn will provide an estimate of the audience size. The goal is to keep refining the target audience to as specific a group as possible. The goal is to have a targeted audience who will not only click the ad, but also convert. This will keep advertising costs low and conversions high.
What Are the Requirements for Success?
Give us a call – 202-236-2968 – so we can help you manage this process, but to have a successful LinkedIn advertising campaign you need the following:
- A LinkedIn Account
- A definition of ideal customer for targeting purposes
- A landing page customized for the product or service we are advertising targeted towards ideal customer
- An idea of how the ad should look – need to research other LinkedIn ads
- Strong headlines, descriptions, and images for the LinkedIn ad variations
- Time to review ad variations and only use the ones that perform the best
- Time to measure results to determine whether LinkedIn ads are right for your business