Even though Google is constantly adapting its algorithm to deliver what it deems the truest answer to a particular query, there are basic search engine optimization guidelines that all sites – large and small – must follow to improve in search engine ranking. These are:
Code – Keep it simple
- Follow standards and get as close to validated markup as possible
- Make it easy for search engines to crawl your site
- Make CSS class and ID names obvious, especially for section div tags
- Name your header dive header
- Name the CSS ID of your right sidebar div right-sidebar
Web Design – Less Navigation is More
- Websites should have clean vertical internal linking
- Every page links to the home page.
- Every page links to every category level page. This is your main navigation.
- Sub-category pages link to other sub-categories within the same category only.
- Sub-category pages link to their own topic pages only.
- Topic pages link to sub-category pages within the same category only.
- Topic pages link to their own article pages only.
- Article pages link to each sub-category page within the same category only.
- Article pages link to each topic page within its own sub-category.
- Article pages link to other article pages within the same topic.
Content – Engagement & Agility
- Emphasize community and conversation
- Create content that people will want to link to and talk about
- Embrace agility – update content frequently
- Update your old content – particularly advertorial content